Wednesday, January 20, 2010

A bit Backwards

So I've decided to make today all about writing. Strangely enough, it's nearly noon and I haven't written a word. Well, that's not true, I've been adding and deleting words most of the morning. I just finished my 5th chapter yesterday, so I've spent most of my morning going back over it, doing some editing.

I do this a lot. Lots of people say that you shouldn't edit your work as you go, and maybe that's the "right" way to go about it. I can't not edit as I go. (read it again if you must, yes it's a double negative... I just happen to feel it's the best way to share what I'm trying to say) I need to be sure that I haven't gone off on some tangent, or changed some crucial part of the story with a throw-away sentence or paragraph.

Plus, I actually like the story and don't mind reading it a few times :)

I have no idea how long this story will end up. When I began writing, I had a fairly rounded idea. I was going to shoot for a norm... eighty thousand words seems to be the norm. Twenty thousand words ago, it seemed almost unattainable. Now, however, I'm afraid I'm going to overshoot that mark.

I don't want the characters to be overdrawn or the story to be heavy handed, but I also want the world to come to life for a reader. It really isn't an issue yet, like I said, "I have no idea how long this story will end up."

Ok, I'm done for now. I'm going to write :) I think I'm done editing for now, and I've gotten some stuff off of my chest, so writing is the target now. So far, my day has been about writing, which is what I was going for, so I consider it a win. But, now I'm actually going to write.

I do have a story to tell after all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment